Saturday, February 09, 2008

A stitch in chine saves nine

I started stitching the lower chines to the bottom tonight. I started in the middle and worked my way to the fore and aft, alternating between the left and right side. The plans suggest spacing the holes 12" apart, but I just guesstimated that by looking to see where it seemed that it would do the most good to snug up the edges:





I've been cutting short pieces off of the PVC pipe that was formerly used for drawing the curved lines on the plywood for cutting out the parts and putting them inside the loop formed by the tie straps. That seems to give the tie strap a little more leverage for pulling the edges together.

You can see where my early efforts at cutting a straight line with the jigsaw introduced problems:



That gap will get filled with epoxy thickened with saw dust and then covered with fiberglass tape, so it's really not a problem.

Just as I was getting to the bow and stern, both of which are really shaping up to be a royal pain to get together, I ran out of tie straps. (I used way too many to put the molds in place, I think.) Since I won't be able to get more until tomorrow (Harbor Freight on a Sunday - Ugh!), I thought I'd see if I could get the wood at the bow and stern to take a bit of an appropriate and helpful bend. We all know what it means when I have recalcitrant wood unwilling to bend to my will, don't we? Yes, of course we do! Tie straps:





This is a neat time in the build in that you can see the boat starting to take shape. I think it's going to be a long and frustrating job to get the sides to align with the bottom and to also sit snug against the molds, but when it's done the boat will (well, should) have the characteristic lengthwise bend of a canoe.

Meanwhile, back in the far reaches of the boat works, the upper sides have the first epoxy/fiberglass patch joining them together curing. The second join will get done tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment