Sunday, April 09, 2006

Gettin' back in the saddle

It's been more than three weeks since I've last flown. With all that time out of town, and the high Spring winds we've been having, there simply hasn't been a good day to go out and refresh my landing skills. Today was forecast as severe clear with light winds, so I got an early start and flew over to MadCo to get in some practice landings.

The wind was light and variable, but primarily coming from the East. I must have misheard the fella at MadCo that answered my request for winds, though. I'd swear he said 330 @ 7, which would favor landing to the West on runway 27, but between ending up way high on final and having to slip it in and the wind that ended up being a quartering tailwind, it wasn't a very good landing. I taxiied back to runway 9 for the departure and decided to head down to Circleville (KCYO) where the runway is oriented North-South.

I made a so-so landing there, and while departing back to Bolton I heard on the radio, "Hey, we still have coffee and donuts down here." I quickly verified that the radio call was from Circleville, and since I felt I owed myself a better landing I went around and landed again. The second was much better than the first, and it turns out that they did, in fact, have a freshly brewed pot of coffee on. There were 8 or 9 pilots in there swapping war stories, so it was a very boisterous atmosphere. Naturally there were a lot of questions about the RV, and since talking about my plane is my second favorite topic (me being the first!), I spent a half hour or so chewing the fat with them.

The landing back at Bolton was a greaser, so it looks like I've regained the expertise lost during my length lay-off. It's going to be a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment