Tuesday, October 10, 2006

New Flight Sim review at GamingNexus

My review of the new Microsoft Flight Sim went up this morning:

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Default.aspx?Section=Article&I=1227

I've been using the Microsoft Flight Sim since the very first version, although back then Microsoft hadn't acquired it yet. In the first version way back when, it was the SubLogic Flight Simulator, and it ran (well, not so much 'ran' as 'plodded') on the TRS-80 Model I. Watching it mature through the years as the underlying computer platforms increased in capability by many orders of magnitude is my version of what Orville and Wilbur must have seen as the airplane they invented was surpassed over and over again by vastly improved models. Consider also that the original virtual flight sim world was something like 36 square miles, while the new flight sim maps the entire Earth. If I wanted to, I could take off from Bolton Field and circumnavigate the world, using real-world charts and maps. I would find every navigational aid and airport located in the virtual world exactly where they appear on the maps.

Fantastic!

Oh, by the way: I hate reading my own reviews. I always find at least one typo (in this case it was 'list' instead of the intended 'lift') and sentences that I'd like to re-write (there are two this time).

I also realized too late that my observation regarding whether or not the disc has to be in the drive for the game to work may have been flawed. Being in the habit of swapping CD discs rather than DVD discs, I may have confused the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment