Tuesday, December 12, 2006

A tour of Columbus

Sunday morning I decided to make one more attempt at getting the microphone to work by purchasing a cheap little amplifier to boost the microphone signal a bit more, but to no avail. I'm going to have to give up on the audio for now.

The weather was nice, albeit with winds from the southwest at 10 gusting 15. That's right down the runway at Bolton, so it wouldn't be a problem. I thought I'd head over to MadCo to gas up, but take an aerial tour of Columbus on the way. Well, it's not exactly "on the way" - it's actually the exact opposite direction. The plan was to climb above the class C airspace that surrounds Port Columbus Airport and tour the OSU campus on the way downtown. With the relatively high pressure and cool temps, the climb to 5,500' went very quickly.

I'm getting better at managing the limited resources of battery power and recording tape in the camcorder, and in fact I thought I had this video thing down to a science. Well, not quite as it turns out. It seems that the camera must have gotten bumped and knocked slightly off alignment since it now has a constant bank to the right, but I didn't notice it until I got back and was watching the tape on the computer. When I realized that I had been leaning to the left in my chair for 10 minutes, it finally hit me that the camera wasn't level.

Here's the video:


(this video was captured at 640x480, so you can click on it to go to its page on YouTube and watch in a larger window)

I couldn't find anything to talk about in the last few minutes of narration, so I just left it silent. That's when I really wish I had engine and comm radio sounds in the background!

No comments:

Post a Comment