Thursday, February 15, 2007

Al's Revenge

Ok, I was a little hard on Mr. Gore in my previous posting, and I do know that there's a difference between climatic trends and comtemporaneous weather, and I don't deny that although we've made incredible progress on protecting the environment since the 70's, we can still do better, and I'm not doubting the accuracy of the supporting scientific analysis of existing weather data; I think the problem with the data is that the records are such a microscopically thin sliver of the millions of years this planet has existed that they cannot possibly be accurate predictors of the future. I do believe, however, that the current hysteria behind it is a farcical over-reaction that either accidentally or by design provides financial benefit to the very people that are hyping it the loudest. But that's neither here nor there, is it? It's an issue being addressed by gobs of boffins far smarter than me, so I really don't understand the complete and total retaliation by Al for my flippant attitude. I mean, he completely went overboard:

I was just finishing up the second plowing when the freezing rain started. And kept on coming. And coming. I think it was about five hours before it finally stopped. The result: nearly two inches of solid ice on every horizontal surface, and a quarter inch on vertical surfaces like garage doors. Particularly garage dooors, as it turns out. Frozen shut, they were. I consider myself lucky that the lift mechanisms didn't blow their guts out as they tried to lift completely immovable doors.

The irony, of course, is that it was a warming of the ambient temperature that caused the transition from snow to ice. Ironic twist there, Al. And your next move, ensuring that I'll be living with this stuff for weeks by hitting us with -2 F temps this morning, well... wow! What a way to twist the knife! I didn't know you had it in you! I surrender. You can have your Oscar. Please, just no more ice!

Here's the Papa Golf part of this post, just to keep at least arguably on topic: the annual isn't due until March, but it's clear that I'm stuck in the hangar for awhile. I'm going to go ahead and do it now. I plan on de-cowling and removing panels over the weekend. I'm not pulling the floor boards this year as that turned out to be a complete waste of effort, other than the recovery of some old clecos and such. I can also get the AD search on the engine done before the A&P starts the inspection on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment