Monday, July 04, 2005

It's here!

The RV-6 was delivered today. The logistics were somewhat interesting. I met the CFI at Bolton field at 9:00 to give him the pink slip for the 6. The seller showed up at about 9:10 in his V-tail Bonanza to shuttle the instructor down to Lancaster Co. They went up flying for awhile, giving the CFI some experience in the airplane. They landed, the seller jumped out, and the CFI flew solo up to Bolton. I video taped the arrival for posterity, then met him at the hangar. It took a few minutes to get him out of the plane - he had the RV grin! We went over his schedule and set up appointments for my dual instruction, starting tomorrow morning at 8:30.

I spent a few hours in the hangar, cleaining up some bug splats and unloading all of the log books, old plans, receipts, and all the other documentation. I took an inch of styrofoam out of the pilot side seat, so now my headset doesn't bang in the canopy. I also spent some time just learing where the switches and knobs are, and generally getting familiar with the plane. Everything is very different from what I'm used to, even the seatbelts. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow, though!

I haven't been able to find a place to mount my Garmin 295 GPS. It's just too big, and the control sticks don't help. They need about 3" cut off on each to keep them from getting so close to the instrument panel. That's all going to take time, so I downloaded a simulator for the King KLN-89B that's in it and practiced with that this afternoon. It's not as nice as the Garmin, but it's the one that will eventually be driving the autopilot, so I need to know how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment