Friday, May 09, 2008

Ok, I owe you one

After the goofy F-86 video, I owe you one. Here's one that shows the helmet cam put to good use:



Speaking of... I'm kicking around the idea of getting into doing more PapaGolf travel vids. Not necessarily limited to the helmet cam, though, as it's somewhat restricted to just the flying and does nothing to share the destination with the viewer. I ordered a few books on video composition and editing to learn some of the techniques, but the sticking point is, as it has been for quite awhile, the matter of equipment. I thought about getting another cheapy camcorder, but the more I think about it, the more I want to move to higher end HD.

My thinking was that if I was going to use YouTube as the delivery mechanism, the quality of the video wouldn't matter. Two things changed my mind:

- We have an HD TV, and I'd like to be able to use the camera for family purposes as well. For example, Co-pilot Egg is just now starting her "career" in her high school marching band. It's an active band in parades and regional competitions, and I'm thinking things like that would make for good recordings.

- I discovered www.vimeo.com/hd:


Deep Sea Fishing and Lobstering in Gloucester - Video Blog from Tom Guilmette on Vimeo.

(To see it in HD, click on the HD button on the lower right of the video and use the link to go directly to Vimeo. Note, however, that even in SD the quality is far superior to YouTube)

That's just a randomly selected video to demonstrate the quality of web-based HD video. Compare that to YouTube!

Saving my pennies....



$700 at Amazon.com. A bit spendy, but maybe they'll come down.

No comments:

Post a Comment