Saturday, August 27, 2005

Tampico Gone!

The ferry pilot was at the plane at 8:30 when I drove by on the way to the hangar to work on Papa Golf. I stopped to see how things were going. He was waiting on another pilot he had asked to fly out to LA with him to show up, and they'd be on their way. It didn't work out that way, though. By 9:00 the weather hadn't improved at all, and actually looked like it would get worse before it would get better. That turned out to be exactly what happened.

They sat around the FBO watching the radar and checking the weather. I worked on the RV and made another trip to Lowes to buy some shelving, a workbench, a bench grinder, and a vise. The workbench is going to take hours to assemble, so I got started on that. At about 4:30 I heard an engine start. and ran down to the end of the hangars to see if it was the Tampico. It was. They took off and headed west at about 4:30.

Now it's just a matter of waiting a few days for the check to show up.


  1. Ooohh baby, I was in Columbus yesterday... not a good day to fly.

  2. Would you share some details on how you handled the sale, i.e. escrow, transfer of title, etc?


  3. Rick - Yeah, I spent the day tinkering in the hangar. Sunday, too. I'm ready for retirement - I think I could spend every day in the hangar working on the plane. I guess that makes me a potential builder!

    I heard from the guys last night (Sunday). They got as far as Amarillo Texas, and got stuck by bad weather. I was worried about hurricane weather socking them in for a week, but the report from down there this morning shows clear skies.

  4. Mel -

    The sale got a little weird towards the end when I decided to use a ferry pilot rather than take it out myself.

    What I did was I filled out and signed a bill of sale, and provided that and an overnight USPS Express envelope to the ferry pilot. He will collect a cashiers check from the buyer, drop it in the envelope and mail it, then give the bill of sale to the buyer. That handles the official transfer of title. The only real risk would be a fraudulent cachiers check, but I don't think it would be too hard to track the buyer down if I needed to. I don't think there will be any problems, though, as long as the USPS doesn't drop the ball. I