After having torn the engine down to the nuts, bolts, and crankshaft level, we spent some time measuring the dimensions of the crank shaft, connecting rods, piston pins, etc. The tolerances are measured down to 1/10,000" (or .0001", for those that prefer), but since I consider anything beyond .001" tolerance as measured with a micrometer to be no more accurate than a random number generator, we were pretty much just going through the motions.
We were able to get the crankshaft and camshaft installed and the crankcase halves put back together before we ran out of class time. Those were the easy parts, of course. Now we have to figure out where all of the little bits go. That's a daunting prospect!